We must verify your identity as part of our work for you.
You must have the following documents to verify your identity:
- one piece of government-issued photo ID; and
- one additional piece of identification.
If you are buying or acquiring property, one of these pieces of ID must also prove your Canadian citizenship.
Your identification must be:
- authentic (a genuine, original, credible and reliable document issued by a competent authority
- current (unexpired)
Your primary piece of government-issued ID must:
- show your full legal name
- have a photo of you
- have a unique identifying number
- match your name and appearance.
If your names do not match across your two pieces of ID, or you do not have ID that meets this criteria, please contact us immediately.
Please get us your ID as soon as possible.
Please e-mail 2 pieces of current, government-issued identification at the beginning of our work with you, so we can make sure to get your name and address recorded properly.
Then please bring your 2 pieces of current, government-issued identification with you to your signing appointment. We must verify your ID in person.
If you are not able to sign documents with us in person, we must use an agent to verify your identity on our behalf.
Acceptable Forms of ID
Government-issued photo ID must be issued by either a federal, provincial or territorial government. We can accept a foreign government-issued photo ID if it is equivalent to one of the forms of ID listed below.
The following forms of ID are acceptable forms of primary, government-issued IDs as long as they have a photo of you:
- Driver’s licence from any Canadian province or territory
- BC Services Card
- Provincial or Territorial ID cards from BC, AB, SK, MB, ON, NB, NS, PEI, NF, NWT or Nunavut
- Global Entry Card
- NEXUS Card
The following documents can be used to prove your Canadian citizenship, or permanent residency. If they contain a photo, they would also count as your primary piece of ID.
- Canadian passport
- Permanent Resident Card
- Citizenship Card
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Social Insurance Card (or other proof of your SIN number)
We must record information from your ID in our files.
ID that is NOT acceptable
The following documents are NOT acceptable as ID:
- photo ID issued by a municipal government
- baptismal certificates, or similar certificates issued by a church
- homemade identification documents
- credit cards are generally not considered to be identification
Are there other ways to verify my identity?
Yes. We can use a credit file method, or a dual process method.
The credit file method involves obtaining a credit file record for you from either Equifax Canada or TransUnion Canada. The credit file record must meed a number of specified criteria.
The dual process involves reviewing information about you from two separate, reliable sources. These sources must contain specific kinds of information, and the information from these sources must come directly from these sources, not from you yourself.
Using other methods of verifying your identity will take longer, and may cost more.
Please contact us immediately if you cannot meet these identification requirements.August 23, 2020 11:06 pm